26 September 2011

Week 7: Tutorial Task

Making the Script


This week we have made our scripts and are on our way to making our film. A film with a similar counselling theme like ours is a HBO film, 'In Treatment'. In watching this film, I could see the way I would have to act towards the camera. I am a technophobe, an older man who is anxious, scared, frightened, horrified and a recluse; somebody you cannot help but feel sorry for and hope they will make it through their troubles.


I decided that considering I am so afraid of this technology, I would also be frightened of the terms because words create meaning right? So I have made some signs to hold up to the camera every time I need to say a word related to technology. Here is my script:


Question from psychologist:


"So how have you been this week"


Me:


Well Doc, I've been going surprisingly well.
Actually, I've been coping, not exactly progressing.
I'm stuck Doc!


Okay, so people have stopped replying to my letters, obviously I can't use the phone (holds up sign)
Yeah... (bows head) still using the signs!


The only way people will write to me is through email!
Oh! A 'lady friend' from lawn bowls came over and had a go at me stove kettle, as if I'm supposed to use an Electric Kettle.


Even me own generation doesn't understand anymore.
Technology... it's taken over my life and I still can't seem to accept it. It's just not natural to me; it's not me. Everyone else is obsess with technology even just to communicate! What's wrong with a little face-to-face contact? I wasn't raised communicating this way, through phone, internet, email, fax, but I'm forced to! And it's hard! But talking to you about it, is making it better. So yeah, I'd say still coping....  but not exactly progressing.


Sources:

<http://www.hbo.com/in-treatment/index.html>


CSL: CartoonStock, image, viewed 16 September 2011.
<http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/t/technophobes_gifts.asp>

No comments:

Post a Comment